Freelance Fortune: The Newsletter (No. 8: Feb 2010)
This is a free, private-roster newsletter that celebrates the free
agent lifestyle and provides techniques for business success.
© 2009 Seth Kahan. You are encouraged to share the contents with
others with appropriate attribution. You may forward this newsletter
This issue of Freelance Fortune is in sections:
- Accelerating Your Results by Learning from Experts
- Five Core Activities for Jumping to a New Level of Performance
- Brand Building Workshop: Creating a Magnet in the Marketplace
- My Private Roster™ Mentor Program
Accelerating Your Results by Learning from Experts
If you’ve been following me on the website, FreelanceFortune.com (see my press release here for this site’s success), you’ve seen the audio interviews I have been posting. You are not alone! They are getting major attention. These concise conversations profile world-class consultants. They are both inspirational and informative, pulling back the covers on strategy and tactics of the experts. I listen to each multiple times, harvesting new ideas and methods with each pass. Here’s a high-level summary of what’s there today. But, keep checking back – I have over 20 scheduled to publish in the next three months.
- Linda Popky, marketing expert, on how to use a peeer-based community to excel, growth strategy for an economic downturn, and evolutionary turning points that were breakthroughs in her business.
- Phil Symchych, business growth guru, on his proprietary Business Owners’ Scorecard, helping clients get out of the commodity business, and ow to use speed as an asset for business growth.
- Alan Weiss, multi-million dollar consultant, on the development of his 1,000-member/15-country mentor program, his unique style of mentoring, and attitudes and behaviors that accelerate growth.
The Five Core Activities for Jumping to a New Level of Performance
To get ahead of yourself, exceed your current capacity, you must draw on the expertise of others. This is why I signed up for my mentor program 9 months before I left my day job at the World Bank. I bought expertise from another who was clearly ahead of me. It wasn’t just a matter of writing a check though. I then had to humble myself to my mentor’s approach so I could put it into action as effectively as possible. It was consistently uncomfortable as I trained myself to act in ways that were unfamiliar. He quickly pointed out mindsets and behaviors that were holding me back. I had to develop a taste for pushing the limits of my comfort zone.
You must make time systematically to take a 30,000 foot view. It is mandatory to really get ahead. Otherwise you spend all of your energy on the ground (delivering results) or at 5,000 feet (repurposing material and stringing events together to generate income). For a great set of guidelines on how to spend more time at higher altitude, see this great post on my blog, taken from a recent interaction with Alan Weiss, who runs the mentor community to which I belong.
3. Marketing Action
The single most powerful technique for getting up off the ground and into the air is to build your brand. This inverts the relationship 90% of consultants are trapped in. Instead of you going to clients, they will come to you. In order to do this, you must build a brand – a presence in their field of view – that establishes you as a thought-leader, the desired resource in a valuable field. This happens by consistently putting intellectual property into the marketplace where it can generate value for your clients.
Effective negotiating is not just about getting the deal. It’s about setting the parameters for success. You must (a) establish a partnership with your client so you work together to generate extraordinary results, (b) be absolutely clear about the value that will be generated, (c) outline your objectives and how you will know they have been achieved, (d) secure remuneration that compensates you appropriately for the value you generate. This is about exerting your control through interaction with the client so the situation is best set up for success. You are the expert and you know what that requires. You must convey that to your clients to ensure the best possible outcome.
5. Effective Delivery
Once you have established the value to be generated, you must go after it with a clear heart and a sharp mind, keeping a laser focus on producing the results you seek. This means not over delivering, not allowing scope creep, but producing the best possible outcome within your circumstances. Effective delivery is about providing the results you set out to achieve, consistently and with excellence.
Brand Building Workshop: Creating a Magnet in the Marketplace
March 25, Washington, DC
This one-day workshop is an intensive, interactive experience that will teach you how to create the kind of impression that brings clients to you. Building a brand is the secret to raising your fees, increasing the value you provide, working with better clients, and sustaining income. Topics will include:
- Strengthening Your Value Proposition
- Increasing the Value You Provide
- Building Your Body of Work for Maximum Market Impact
- Creating a Magnet in the Marketplace
- The Hot Seat – Putting the Spotlight on Your Materials and Strategies
- Your Brand and Raising Your Fees: How and Why
- Two Special Guest topics: Leveraging Your Brand’s Intellectual Property, by trademark lawyer, Erik Pelton
Optimizing Your Website for Search Engines, by web architect, Jonathan Roehm, founder of heatbrain.com
My Private Roster™ Mentor Program
This unique program is available by exclusive arrangement with Million Dollar Consultant Alan Weiss. I am the first person in the world to be certified by Alan to provide all three of his mentor programs. When you enter my mentor program, here is what you get:
- An initial interview to identify your business goals and evaluation by me of your approach
- Access to Alan Weiss’s global mentoring community where you can ask questions 24/7, and have access to world-class consultants around the globe.
- Access to resources such as proposal templates, lists of questions to access clients, frameworks for establishing business offerings, audio and video files, newsletters; mastermind groups; international mentor summits and much more.
- All teleseminars I produce during your participation are provided to you free of charge.
- Discounts to both my workshops and the workshops of Alan Weiss
You may take your choice of one of three programs:
- The Regular Program – Six months of unlimited access to me by e-mail, phone, fax, regular mail – or in person, if convenient for both of us. I help people strategically (how to set fees, how to gain visibility, how to position and market your practice, etc.), and tactically (what to say at the meeting tomorrow, critiquing proposals, overcoming objections, etc.).
- The Guided Program – Just like the Regular Program, plus I provide you with a detailed game plan with specific completion dates, and formal, scheduled contact times to discuss accomplishments and any obstacles preventing short-term tasks from being completed.
- The Total Immersion Program – This consists of two days with me, at my home/office, to learn how I handle clients, prospects, office management, invoicing, interruptions, writing, etc. We also spend considerable time on your strategy and goals, and create plans to move forward. You then enter the Regular Mentor Program for six months.
For more information, including fees, and to register, visit SethMentor.com
Seth Kahan (Seth@VisionaryLeadership.com) is a Change Leadership specialist. He has consulted with CEOs and executives in over 50 world-class organizations that include Shell, World Bank, Peace Corps, Marriott, Prudential, American Society of Association Executives, International Bridge Tunnel and Turnpike Association, Project Management Institute, and NASA. He is the founder of Seth Kahan’s CEO Leaders Forum, a year-long learning experience for CEOs in Washington, DC. His next book, Getting Change Right: How Leaders Transform Organizations from the Inside Out, will be published in Spring 2010 by Jossey-Bass.
Visit all of Seth’s blogs:
- Leading Change for Fast Company Magazine: http://SethFast.com
- GettingChangeRight.com for more info on Seth’s upcoming book
- FreelanceFortune.com for tips on how to succeed as a free agent
- Seth now contributes to the Washington Post in the column, On Success.
If you want to subscribe to this newsletter, click here.